Associative plurals

Iwasaki, Shoichi iwasaki at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:44:48 UTC 2011

(1) -tachi and -ra can be a plural marker.

Gakusee-tachi = students
Gakusee-ra = students

(Only when the noun/pronoun is identifiable/definite animate, the associative meaning emerges)

(2) boku-ra; boku-tachi  = I and my associates (e.g. friends, family members, colleagues)
This could also work inclusively ("I and you")  just like English 'we'.

"does the -ra mean "the group associated with me by also being speakers"?" --> I don't think so. Just by being another speaking body does not seem to qualify one as an associate. An associate must have more meaningful relationship with the speaker.

(3) " Does tanaka-ra ever mean "the group of people all called Tanaka"?" --> No, because "Tanaka" is identifiable/definite.

Shoichi Iwasaki