Associative plurals

Guy Modica gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp
Tue Apr 5 23:34:45 UTC 2011

Let me add that -tachi can be added to any noun, including *teacher*, which
yields sensei-tachi. A pack of dogs can be referred to as inu-tachi.

Though come to think of it, I don't remember ever hearing inanimate nouns
suffixed in this way - Fukushima-tachi or baseball-tachi - though they may
be possible. Judging from some of the tentativeness of the assertions, and
the rudimentary questions being asked, perhaps having a native speaker weigh
in on the Japanese data would be fruitful. And I am not.

Guy Modica
Tokyo