Origins of human language in Southern Africa?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Sat Apr 16 19:53:41 UTC 2011

Much of what you explain here makes a great deal of sense, but is the
assumption really that the original phonetic inventory was small, and that
it increased over time. I would think it would be the other way around.

Wouldn't a larger number of interlocutors level phonetic distinctions due
to noise in the signal?

    --Aya