Origins of human language in Southern Africa?

Östen Dahl oesten.dahl at ling.su.se
Sat Apr 16 20:11:09 UTC 2011

Atkinson says:
"Human genetic and phenotypic diversity declines with distance from Africa, as predicted by a
serial founder effect in which successive population bottlenecks during range expansion
progressively reduce diversity, underpinning support for an African origin of modern humans"
and
"If phoneme distinctions are more likely to be lost in small founder populations, then a succession
of founder events during range expansion should progressively reduce phonemic diversity with increasing
distance from the point of origin, paralleling the serial founder effect observed in population genetics".

-- It is possible that there is such a founder effect in phonology, but if it exists, it is not parallel to the genetic founder effect. In a genetic bottleneck, interindividual variation in the gene pool is reduced due to the small size of the population. But the number of phonemes has nothing to do with interindividual variation. Perhaps we would have a parallel if the average number of allophones per phoneme decreased in a founder event. If the number of phonemes is reduced, that would rather correspond to the loss of genes.

- östen