Roseta Stone: Redux

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at wayne.edu
Wed Feb 9 19:57:26 UTC 2011

Yes, there's lots of research on relative complexity of grammatical systems as related to first language acquisition, and, of course, more complex, idiosyncratic, irregular morphological systems are harder to learn and acquired later than simpler, more regular ones expressing roughly the same notion.
Dan Slobin (are you on this list, Dan?) did much research in the 70's on this topic, comparing, IIRC, Serbo-Croatian (which existed then) and Turkish, and maybe some other languages.
Here's an abstract from one of those papers:

The ability of children between the ages of 2; 0 and 4; 8 to produce locative pre- or postpositions was investigated in English, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, and Turkish. Across languages, there was a general order of development: (1) ‘in’, ‘on’, ‘under’, and ‘beside’, (2) ‘between’, ‘back’ and ‘front’ with featured objects, (3) ‘back’ and ‘front’ with non-featured objects. This order of development is discussed in terms of nonlinguistic growth in conceptual ability. Language-specific differences in the general pattern of development are discussed in terms of a number of linguistic factors which may facilitate or retard the child's discovery of the linguistic means for encoding concepts.

    • Journal of Child Language (1979), 6: 529-545

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program