child language

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 16 03:13:23 UTC 2011

Dead FUNK people,

In 2002 I accepted for publication, in a TSL volume I edited, an article
by my good friend Dan Slobin. I disagreed strongly with what he had to
say, but felt that one might as well have a vigorous discussion. In that
article, Dan challenged the meaningfulness of a whole research
programme, that of seeking similarities between early child language
(1-2 yrs) and other developmental ('emergent') processes such as
language diachrony, SLA-pidginization and language evolution. A week or
so ago, Dan cited that article, once again implying that it was the last
word on the subject, and thus that the discussion should be closed.

In 2009 I published a whole book ("The Genesis of Syntactic Complexity",
Amsterdam: Benjamins) suggesting, and trying to show, that the
discussion was far from closed, and that seeking similarities between
the four developmental trends of language is both theoretically sound
and empirically feasible. At the time, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I said
I was sorely tempted to dedicate the book to my old teacher Noam
Chomsky, given his infuriating treatment of the subject in a 2002
article (Hauser et al. 2002). In retrospect, I see that I should have
dedicated the book to Dan Slobin, since both he and Chomsky were the
proximate catalysts for writing the book; and unlike Chomsky Dan is
still my good friend.

In his recent FUNK contribution, Dan leveled his guns most specifically
at the pernicious suggestion (Givon 1979; Bickerton 1981) that the
similarities between early child language and SLA pidgin could be
legitimate and revealing. I would like to briefly sketch out the
beginning of an answer, and also give a promisory note for a more
extensive, quantified, text-based study that will back up my claims--tho
of course I don't intend to close the discussion once and for all even
then. My investigation of this topic started in 1979, in ch. 5, 7 of "On
Understanding Grammar" ( NY:Academic Press). I set up there a comparison
between some of the main structural and communicative properties of
pre-gram,matical vs. grammatical communication. After 30 years of
tinkering, that comparison may be summarized as follows:

FUNCTIONAL/COMMUNICATIVE PROPERTIES:
1. *Lexicon over grammar*: Pre-grammatical communication relies
maximally on the lexicon, leaving communicative intent largely un-coded
and thus heavily dependent on contextual inferences. In contrast,
grammatical communication codes much more of the communicative intent
via grammar.
2. *Coherence scope*: The thematic and/or topical coherence units of
pre-grammatical communication are much shorter. In early child language,
for example (ca. Lois Bloom's 1970/1973 1-word stage, ca. 1 yr old), it
approximates 1-clause, thus "mono-propositional coherence". It gradually
gets longer, and is clearly multi-propositional by the so-called 2-word
stage (Bowerman 1973, ca. 2-yr).
3. *Dependence on care-taker turns*: In early child language (Ochs et
al. 1979) the one-word contributions of the child are
complemented/supplemented, both syntactically and communicatively, by
the adult interlocutor's contributions.
4. *Context dependency*: Early child communication is, therefore, much
more heavily context-dependent.
6. *Speech acts*: The ratio of manipulative vs. informative
(declarative, question) speech acts will be highest in early child
language, and will decrease over acquisition.

STRUCTURALLY PROPERTIES:
6.*Noun/verb coding ratio*:  The ration of N/V in early child
comminication (e.g. Lois Blooms 1970/1973 transcipts) is highest, and
decreases during acquisition.
7. *Grammatical morphology*: The use of productive (as against frozen)
grammatical morphology is minimal in early child language, and increases
during acquisition.
8. *Grammatical constructions*: In early child language, in part due the
7. above, syntactic constructions (speech acts, voice, subordination,
etc.) show low differentiation. They emerge and differentiate gradually
during acquisition.
9. *Syntactic complexity*: Overall, early child language shows minimal
syntactic complexity, which then increases gradually during acquisition.

PROMISSORY NOTE:
All these properties can be studied empirically in a quantified
manner--in transcripts of natural oral communication. The relevant
comparison with the adult grammatical register should obviously involve
informal oral communication. None of these properties are absolute
either/or; rather, they are all a matter of degree. They must be studied
language by language, and one would predict that in languages with
more-regular morphology the acquisition of productive (as against
frozen) morphology would come earlier. But one would still predict the
gradient suggested in 7 above. Further, one could predict that in
languages where the adult input of verbs obligatorily comes with some
morphology (Hebrew, Spanish, Navajo), lexical verbs will be acquired
initially with some frozen morphology; but that morphology would not be
productive at the earliest stages. Likewise, one could predict that in
languages where the adult input of nouns obligatorily comes with some
morphology (Bantu), nouns will be acquired early with frozen morphology;
but that the richness of Bantu nominal-class morphology, and in
particular its extensive ramifications into the grammar of both NPs and
VPs, will be acquired later and gradually.

So, I hereby promise to find the time to do this kind of  quantified
comparative study, and present the result for y'all to inspect & decide.
I promise to include at least 4 languages (Hebrew, Spanish, English,
Swahili), as well as English-based SLA-pidgin. While this is obviously
an impoverished typological sample, it does include some of the major
relevant typological parameters. And one needs to know the languages in
order to do the study (the CHILDES transcripts, alas, come without
inter-lineal glosses). I can only hope that other people may want to
pick up the gauntlet and extend this study to other languages.  As in
other sciences, theoretical arguments can only be resolved by
well-design empirical investigation. The worst thing one would want to
see in child language studies is a premature closure.

Best,  TG