child language

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 16 21:49:33 UTC 2011

Folks,

    This examination promises to be better than the Super Bowl.  And, unlike the Super Bowl, where my home team lost, I don't have strong
bets on either side.

Seriously, this is an important issue and the more we can articulate the relevant factors involved, the better for theoretical development.  I am happy to see no reference here to Broca's aphasia, with the focus instead on comparing diachrony, SLA, and child language.  My understanding of Dan's earlier emphasis is that he denied the link or correspondences (?) between diachrony and child language. Perhaps he can clarify his position vis a vis SLA.  In regards to SLA, it is important to nominate corpora concretely.  One classic corpus, which is available in TalkBank on the web, is the Klein-Perdue ESF corpus.  But maybe Tom has something else in mind.  Within the ESF, there are lots of subtypes.  The most revealing would be those that involve learning of a Indo-European language from speakers who have non-Indo-European sources (such as Turkish-German or Arabic-French).  Regarding child language corpora, I assume we can dispense with interlinear glosses for English.  For Hebrew, we should soon have a full morphemic line courtesy Shuly Wintner and Bracha Nir.  Instead of Swahili, I would recommend the Demuth Sesotho corpus.  For Spanish, nearly all of the corpora have already been morphemicized.  There is also a grammatical relations tier for the syntactic structure.

On the substantive front, it seems to me that some of these predicted parallels amount to foregone conclusions.  One can take as a general developmental principle for both biology and mind the fact that simple things precede complex things, or that combinations do not arise before their components.  Manfred Pienemann's Processibility Theory or Kim Oller's phonological development theory are cases in point.  One hardly needs more than natural compositionality to predict some of these parallels.  However, some of these predicted parallels cannot be so simply reduced.  More importantly,  do these parallels also work in the same way vis a vis diachrony, where the starting point is already complex?

Good luck in this analysis,

-- Brian MacWhinney,