"Being bilingual may delay Alzheimer's and boost brain power..."

Lise Menn lise.menn at Colorado.EDU
Tue Feb 22 22:34:51 UTC 2011

go look at the original publication - the link is posted, in the
Guardian article, and here it is, also:
http://www.neurology.org/content/75/19/1726.abstract?sid=63045016-6a3b-4c35-86d2-ea93215d4fde
Lise

On Feb 22, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Östen Dahl wrote:

> So what does "bilingual" mean in this context? It seems to me that
> it is being used in a rather vague way, possibly conflating quite
> different situations. Is a bilingual person someone who has grown up
> speaking more than one language, or is it anyone who has some
> knowledge of a second language? And it is using the second language,
> or knowing it, that is crucial? -- Having to speak a non-native
> language daily may be like solving cross-words, which is supposed to
> be good for keeping your cognitive abilities intact. But if you know
> the language from an early age, it might not take any special effort
> to speak it, and thus there may be no positive effect. So
> generalizing about "bilingual people" would be rather misleading.
> But maybe there are other things going on.
> - östen

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/index.html

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder