"Being bilingual may delay Alzheimer's and boost brain power..."

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Tue Feb 22 23:51:43 UTC 2011

Thanks, Lise. Still, there was only an abstract there, and it does not
answer Osten's very apt question: Are all types & degrees of
bilingualism equally effective as to the reported effect?  I think of
most interest, from my perspective, is this question: Is there a
difference here between early (childhood) SLA vs. late (post-pubert)
SLA? I keep going back to the studies by my colleague Helen Neville &
her cohorts (early 1990s), showing a strong neurological difference
between the two types of (fluent) bilingualism. My interpretation of her
findings is that fluent late bilinguals work their (covert) R-cortex
attentional system much harder to achieve their fluency, presumable to
compensate for a much lower activation of the L-cortex IFG. If I could
venture a guess, the subjects of the Canadian report were all immigrants
& late-bilinguals. If true, this could mean that accelerated attentional
work rather than bilingualism per se  is behind the phenomenon.

Apropos, it would be nice to do some comparison between high-performance
musicians vs. non-musicians. My  guess would be that musicians who are
good at running several melody lines (voices) simultaneously (say
conductors? Pianists? Singers-guitarists? Singers-pianists? Good
double-string fiddlers?) probably have accelerated attentional
activation too. And assuming that music is just another language (to
some of us this is sorta obvious), could fluent musicians be studied as
another bilingual sample?

Cheers,  TG