approaches to text analysis

hancock at albany.edu hancock at albany.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:35:32 UTC 2011

    For a course in "Writing, Reading, and Language," I am using (for the
first time) "Exploring English Language: from Formal to Functional",
Coffin, Donohue, and North, Routledge 2009. It takes an admittedly SFL
perspective, though it starts with a more traditional orientation.
What I especially like are the large numbers of texts and a great many
interactive exercises built in.
    When I taught the class last semester, I used Kolln's Rhetorical
Grammar and The Longman Student Grammar (Biber et. al.). I was
surprised that my students found the Longman (a corpus based grammar)
much more useful, and so I am ordering it again. Biber's contention is
that language features co-occur within genres for functional reasons.
The book examines language frequencies and patterns in speech,
fiction, newswriting, and academic writing. That's a very broad brush,
but a useful base to work from. I teach this as a "writing intensive"
course out of the linguistics department. Students try out the genres
as they explore them.
    There has been a good deal of discourse analysis out of SFL. Genre and
text are the central focus of a language curriculum in the schools. If
language is what it is because of what it does (a central tenet, I
think, of a functional perspective), then discourse analysis should be
more central than it is to language study in the schools. There is a
growing argument for this. I recommend Terry Locke's "Beyond The
Grammar Wars" (Routledge, 2010) for an international conversation.

Craig