the 'well known secret'

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Tue Jan 11 21:59:02 UTC 2011

I think that while total immersion has more chances of producing a native
speaker-like proficiency before the critical age than after, the deciding
factor of how much of the potential for learning a new language is
realized in any given person of whatever age is the degree to which the
social situation subjects the person to a dominant language viewpoint.

I elaborate more on this idea in the following essay:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Learn-a-Foreign-Language-Issues-in-Second-Language-Acquisition-and-Pedagogy

I have found that resistance by monolinguals to internalizing their first
foreign language is high, and these observations also carry over to the
attitude toward language universals by linguists who have never
experienced total immersion in a second language.

    --Aya