Rosetta Stone acquires the rights to endangered languages

Wendy Smith wsmith at csusb.edu
Thu Jan 20 18:29:35 UTC 2011

no language programs can effect language acquisition or learning (in the
case of the adult brain we say 'learning,' not acquisition). I have been
using Pimsleur which I have found to be quite good in providing the
sounds of the language and some useful conversation. It is still
repetition and memory, which does not equate SLA. I am now repeating
these dialogues in my sleep (!) but when I try to speak to a native
speaker, it all goes out the window. I am counting on immersion--I will
be in Belarus for 4-5 months as of Monday. (I know of no controlled
study of any program--but it doesn't mean they haven't been done--I
would check ACTFL for that information).