Rosetta Stone acquires the rights to endangered languages

Luke Kundl Pinette lkpinette at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 02:34:14 UTC 2011

James,
So this gets us a bit off topic, but again I of course have to comment.

I don't know about a controlled study.  Before I decided on pragmatics I
considered doing my thesis on second-language learning strategies, and
did a fair bit of research to this end, and I didn't see any formal
paper specifically mentioning language programs.  I'd suspect there's
something, but these programs are all designed so differently that a
negative result on one wouldn't apply across programs.

As I said earlier, no program can be a teacher.  Until we design a
program that can pass the Turing test, even if we imagine a program that
can hold a conversation, it won't be able to teach subtle distinctions
in semantics and pragmatics.  Consider the difference in spoken English
between "Whaddaya doing?" "Whacha doing?" and "Whacha up to?" and
consider the fact that not only English, but every language has myriads
of minor distinctions like this.

There's three programs I know by name; I've had all of them recommended
to me by friends and acquaintances: Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, and Before
You Know It.  Rosetta Stone as I said was so awful out of the box,
contradicting everything I knew about language learning and good
pedagogy that I promptly returned it to my brother (who had been foolish
enough to buy it and of course never used it).

The two programs I've used are Pimsleur and Before You Know It.  I like
Pimsleur, it teaches grammar from the outset, and starts the way you
would start a language class, and teaches you to speak in sentences from
the start.  I think it would be more useful if you have someone to
practice with--the scripts it uses are actually pretty good, but if you
don't have someone it's just rote memorization.  And it's definitely not
a quick way to learn a language.  And if you know linguistics, and have
broken down the morphology of the sentence less than ten minutes in, it
becomes a bit tedious.  It's still something I happily recommend to
people I know, though I usually suggest they get it from the library,
unless the site is having a sale (as I think they sometimes do).

On the other hand if you've traveled much to a foreign country without
speaking the language, you'll know that pointing, money, and a
calculator will get you pretty far.  A few words, social niceties like
"hello," "thank you," and "I'm sorry" will get you even further, and if
you're going right now it's useful to be able to pick which words you
need.  Before You Know It, which an acquaintance described as a set of
computerized flashcards, is useful in this respect.  I don't know anyone
who's used the paid version, or even what that includes, but the free
version is quite extensive.

My biggest complaint is that the pronunciations given are generally not
the way the speaker would say it.  It's like if you paid an English
speaker to ennunciate words, and they said "what-are-you-do-ing"
"want-to" "ve-ge-ta-ble" and "com-for-ta-ble" every time.  For example
Koreans don't say "annyeonghaseyo" for "hello," but "anyeseyo" or even
"yeseyo."  And "thank you" is not "kamsahamnida" but "kamsamnida."
Nonetheless, these are useful words.  The Koreans understood what I was
saying, even if they always cracked up when they heard me, and since I
knew what the words sounded like in context I was able to figure out how
they were actually pronounced.  But if the paid version contained clips
of the way people actually say the words, it would be well worth paying for.

I think most of the lesser known products on the market are similar to
one or the other of these.  I've seen other computer programs which are
flashcard based, and  I inherited a few German records and tapes from my
grandfather when he moved to Florida, and they're similar to Pimsleur.
(Though I like Pimsleur's layout better.)

That said though, when you view language programs as a tool to help
study, you might as well ask whether there's any data to support the
view that textbooks in fact aid learning.  It depends on the program,
the student, and the use the latter makes of the former.

Regards,
Luke