Rosetta Stone acquires the rights to endangered languages

Luke Kundl Pinette lkpinette at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 04:09:16 UTC 2011

The question is, why is the Rosetta Stone doing this anyways?  According
to the article, Rosetta doesn't actually distribute the programs, just
makes them.  It doesn't say if it's turning a profit, a loss or selling
them at cost (though the last is what one would infer from the article).
  If they're doing it for the PR, they'll probably try not to screw over
native communities too badly, though of course you know what they say
about the pavement used on the road to hell.

If they're in it for the money, I wouldn't put it past them to add a
clause like that. Then we've got a legal question on our hands.  It's
essentially monopolistic practice, particularly if they make a pattern
of deliberately blocking competition for language programs in endangered
languages.  I suspect that if they were to try it, it would be possible
to find some lawyer willing to pursue the issue, and when taken to court
they would lose.   It would certainly cause a lot of trouble in the
meantime though.

It sounds like nobody on this list has any illusions about the company.
  It's depressing to see that a linguist like Krauss, and one in such an
important position has bought into Rosetta Stone's marketing, but again,
unless another company steps up it doesn't sound like there's any
options other than no language program.  If Rosetta is not in fact
inserting insidious clauses into the agreements with their informants,
it's still probably better than nothing.

Regards,
Luke