grammaticalization and complexity

David Kronenfeld david.kronenfeld at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 16 18:46:13 UTC 2011

Dear Peter and Wolfgang,
     First, thanks for the exchange--I am learning much from it !
     Second, let me offer that language can be seen as a system of
variously interacting subsystems (where "interacting" means that the
subsystems are not totally independent of one another).  One can, I
think, speak reasonably of (and thus evaluate) the complexity of each of
those subsystems--and of the learning/coding problems that each presents
(whether in absolute terms or relative to some other specific already
known system).  In principle one can put those separate complexities
together into some net evaluation, but with an awareness of two
problems:  a) while we know the major subsystems, I am not so certain we
have down all the more minor ones (sub-subsystems and such), and b)  the
"variously interacting" relations among the subsystems--i.e., their
degrees of non-independence--make the putting together tricky.

Best,

         David

--
David B. Kronenfeld, Professor Emeritus  Phone   951-682-5096
Department of Anthropology             Message   951 827-5524
Riverside, CA 92521                 email   david.kronenfeld at ucr.edu
Department:
	http://anthropology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/kronenfeld/index.html
Personal:       http://pages.sbcglobal.net/david-judy/david.html