grammaticalization and complexity

john at research.haifa.ac.il john at research.haifa.ac.il
Wed Mar 16 19:05:34 UTC 2011

Dear Wolfgang,
Maybe not, but it's pretty tough to explain definiteness to a native speaker of
Japanese or Russian, even if their knowledge of a language with articles is
generally pretty good. I've spent enough time trying to do this to be skeptical
of claims that these people really do know the concept of definiteness.
Best,
John