grammaticalization and complexity

Tom Givon tgivon at uoregon.edu
Wed Mar 16 23:34:59 UTC 2011

Dear Fritz & all,

I think Fritz has once again raised a beautiful question that, as
before, can also be  a can of warms. I will try to say something about
the narrower question he posed in his second message, but I think the
way several people took the discussion may be interesting enough to
maybe merit going first.

One way of looking at the topic is comparing the two extremes of
pre-grammatical (pidgin) communication and grammaticalized language,
then asking (as some of you have alluded): Is there a difference between
"complexity of the linguistic signal system as analyzed by the
linguists" and "complexity of the cognitive task for the speaker/hearer"?

Take grammatical morphology first: Pidgin communication with no
def/indef articles for nouns & no TAM markers for verbs seems--to
us--simpler. Fewer coded distinctions. But to the speaker/hearer the
processing task is more difficult, requiring more scanning & analyzing
of the context--lexical, propositional, discourse, social, etc. So, when
a hearer needs to decide whether "horse" is a first introduction (indef,
presentative) or accessible/predictable (def), s/he cannot rely on
morphological clues & make automated decisions, but has to spend much
more time & mental effort on contextual scanning & analysis. And
likewise, is "run"--past, future, present, habitual etc.?

Same with syntactic construction: In Bambara &Old Hittite, REL clauses
look like conjoined/chained clauses, only intonation might furnish some
clues. So the decision how to interpret the information--as asserted or
presupposed--require contextual analysis, rather than grammatical clues.
Again, the system as it looks to the linguist is simpler, fewer coded
clause-types. But the processing task--at least to the hearer--is more
complex, in a sense that more sources of information need to b e considered.

Lastly, Fritz's narrowed-down question: There is a difference between
early & late grammaticalization. The former is communicatively-driven &
create relatively clean morphological systems. The latter is largely
phonologically driven, with the advent of de-stressing & assimilation
rules, and creates irregularities, morphophonemics &, eventually, total
zeroing of grammatical morphology. This is the so-called "cycle". So if
I can interpret Fritz's narrow question, the answer is that ALL
grammaticalization in its later stages results in such "complexity".

Best,  TG