Versatility?

A. Katz amnfn at well.com
Fri Mar 18 14:40:34 UTC 2011

Tahir,

I don't think that language has as yet been shown to become either
increasingly complex or increasingly versatile.

It seems to me that there is a principle of conservation of complexity,
under which any rise in complexity in one system in the language results
in a decrease of complexity elsewhere. This is why there are continuing
cycles in language change, and language does not improve in efficiency
over time.

If it were otherwise, then some languages would be demonstrably better for
communication purposes than others, and no one has ever been able to show
this.

    --Aya