Versatility?

Daniel Everett dan at daneverett.org
Fri Mar 18 19:13:49 UTC 2011

I think that it isn't difficult to imagine that languages could become more versatile over time. We have to ask 'versatile for what'. If we mean 'a better range of tools for talking about things in a particular cultural niche', then it isn't far-fetched to imagine that this is true.

Loan words seem to be prima facie evidence for languages becoming more versatile, as does a lot of the evidence from languages in contact.

I see no problem in saying that some languages are better at communication than others in particular environments. There is a serious research program waiting to be undertaken here.

And it is no more obvious that languages are communicatively equal than that they are different. No study proves either, though the former is assumed by most linguists and many (but not all) theories. In fact, I think it is the  differences that have been overlooked.

Dan