Versatility?

Lise Menn lise.menn at Colorado.EDU
Fri Mar 18 21:44:39 UTC 2011

I think that a computational search of actual new words and a look at
how they are coined might be helpful at this point.
I can't do it myself, but lots of people these days know how.
	Lise

On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:50 PM, A. Katz wrote:

> Dan,
>
> One could argue that versatility is the ability to coin new words as
> need be, not the presence of the words already in the lexicon.
>
> English had that ability, too, just like Hebrew, at an earlier point
> in its history. It lost the ability to do so due to massive
> borrowing as a result of an extreme language contact situation.
>
> But instead of saying that the more versatile language is the one
> that has a stronger derivational system, the way I am inclined to do
> as a jingoist Hebrew speaker, or instead of saying that having a
> bigger lexicon makes you more versatile, as a proponent of English
> would, I would like to submit that it all comes out even in the end:
> because we can all say what we need to say in our own language.
>
> Best,
>

>    --Aya
>

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Daniel Everett wrote:
>
>> Exactly. It is inventing new roots out of thin air that constitutes
>> a neologism and they are very rare.
>>
>> The rest is all about adaptations, not neologisms.
>>
>> Moreover, all of this shows that languages become more versatile as
>> they need more words. This is not to say that other languages could
>> not become more versatile. But they need cultural motivations
>> (including contact) to do so.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On 18 Mar 2011, at 16:36, A. Katz wrote:
>>
>>> The "lack of use of blick" is due to the lack of a root "blick".
>>> In Hebrew, too, we are limited to a certain number of roots. We do
>>> not invent new roots out of thin air. But because we have a
>>> functioning derivational system, new lexemes can arise as the need
>>> arises.
>>>
>>> In English, due to the facts of its history, and because much of
>>> its vocabulary is borrowed, the derivational system, which was
>>> once in place, has been greatly weakened. People see words like
>>> "bait" and "bite" and as native speakers, they often do not
>>> recognize the connection. "Lie" and "lay" are used
>>> interchangeably, because the derivation of a causative is not
>>> felt. This is definitely driving some of the changes in the
>>> language that are ongoing even now.
>>>
>>> The situation with pronouns is a little different in most
>>> languages from the derivation of new lexemes. Pronouns are a
>>> small, almost closed group of grammatical words. They, too, have a
>>> historical development, but it's usually opaque to speakers.
>>>
>>>  --Aya

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302
home page:	  http://spot.colorado.edu/~menn/

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]
Fellow, Linguistic Society of America

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder