Versatility?

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Sat Mar 19 09:39:18 UTC 2011

Suspect some languages may have problems becoming more versatile due to
unconscious esthetic factors, for instance a preference in English for
high-flown latinate names over more basic equivalents, even when such
equivalents might be theoretically available. Which of course can lead to
greater "complexity," though not in a positive way. Gave some examples of
this in a 1987 interview on translating medical terms across Chinese,
English, and German:

"A. Take the two bones in our lower arm. The only names we have for them
today are ulna and radius. These are the 'scientific names,' the ones
medical people--and few others--learn. Those bones are important to you
every day, yet you have no everyday way of referring to them at all. But
there is clear evidence from historical linguistics that these bones once
had other names. The ulna was once called the 'el,' the radius possibly
something like the 'spoke.' We know about the 'el' from Seventeenth Century
poetry (maid to lover: 'if I give you an inch, you'll soon take an el') but
also from modern German, where the words are die Elle and die Speiche."

"Even in modern English the place where the 'el' makes a bend or 'bow' (sich
beugt) is called the elbow. In Chinese these words translate as foot-measure
bone (close to the meaning of 'el') and rowing bone. All bones and all
locations in the body have similar down-to-earth names in Chinese. Which
people is likely to be on better terms with their bodies--one that has names
such as these or one where everything is linguistically off-limits except to
doctors? German continues to a better job here even today with such words as
Gehirnhautentzündung and Harnröhre for meningitis and urethra.

    "Q. It also occurs to me that a German child could understand words like
Riss- und Wuetschwunder, whereas an English-speaking child would not
understand 'lacerations and contusions.'"

Full text of this piece is available at:

http://language.home.sprynet.com/lingdex/chinmed.htm#totop

All the best to everyone!

alex