Reduplication + Compounding

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:08:49 UTC 2011

Hello all,

Thanks Dan. Several folks have asked me to be a bit more specific regarding
my query. What I am most interested in is where folks have discussed perhaps
some type of "interaction" between/of reduplication and noun incorporation.
More specifically where they have tried to account for such via some
theoretical mechanism (e.g. formal, functional, some combination thereof).
When I say incorporation I'm thinking of the phenomenon described in for
example polysynthetic languages where you might have structures like "She
chops some wood" and "She wood-chops." For example in Hiaki you have the
following where (a) would represent what I am referring to as "noun
incorporation":

(a) kuta-sui-te
     stick-tear-Intransitive
     'wood-split'

(b) kuta-m siu-ta
    stick-pl tear-Transitive
     'split wood'

I'm not after anything specific, just where folks have talked about the two
phenomena in some way that suggests some sort of relationship or interaction
between the two.

Thanks,
Shannon