long-distance anaphors in English?

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 12 09:46:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

My intuitions tell me that the following sentence would never occur in English discourse, unless the final reflexive is stressed:

*   Mary hopes that John will nominate herself.
OK  Mary hopes that John will nominate HERSELF.

Does anybody know of any corpus-based studies that would uphold (or refute) my intuitions?

Thanks!

--fritz

Frederick J. Newmeyer
Chercheur, Institut des Sciences Cognitives, Lyon
Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
Adjunct Professor, U of British Columbia and Simon Fraser U