long-distance anaphors in English?

Tom Bartlett BartlettT at cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 12:12:08 UTC 2011

Hi Fritz,

This seems to be a case of the "reflexive" used for the speaker (or projected thinker) as in "This is work that has been undertaken by myself" (frowned upon by prescriptivists!).  As such it would take the stress in your example as it is the New information; but it would also sound okay to me undstressed as part of  a list, with the last element of the list stressed as the culmination of the New:

Mary hopes that John will nominate herself, her brother and the man next DOOR.

Don't know if this is relevant.

All the best,

Tom.