Data Collection Advice

Henrik Rosenkvist Henrik.Rosenkvist at nordlund.lu.se
Wed Oct 26 07:09:22 UTC 2011

Hi!

There are two basic ways of elicating quanttitative judgements: absolute
judgements (on different scales) or magnitude estimation. The trendiest
method is probably magnitude estimation (see for instaince Heycock et al
2010, but that requires advanced statistics. Bader & Häussler, comparing
the two methods, concludes that "Practical matters aside, we do not
think that there are strong reasons to favor one method over the other."
(Bader & Häussler 2009:322).

In the ScanDiaSyn field work, we have been using a 5-degree scale, and
in my latest questionnarie study I formulated the alternatives as below:

Grade the sentences in this leaflet on a scale 1–5.
    1 = not at all in accordance with general language use (you never
say so)
    2 = possibly in accordance with general language use (you may
perhaps say so in certain
           circumstances)
    3 = in partial accordance with general language use (sometimes you
can say so)
    4 = in accordance with general language use (you can say so)
    5 = in full accordance with general language use (this is what you
normally say)

I think that acceptable/non-acceptable leads the informant to grade
sentences according to sociolinguistic norms.

It is worth pointing out that in a large study with many informants, the
method chosen is the only factor determining reliability. If the
researcher has trained a group of informants and has had regular
sessions with them, the situation is different (see a good paper by
Alison Henry 2005 about this).

A starting point is also Cornips & Poletto 2005, and, of course, Schütze
(1996).

best

Henrik R.

--
Henrik Rosenkvist
docent, nordiska språk
e-post: Henrik.Rosenkvist at nordlund.lu.se

Henrik Rosenkvist
Associate Professor, Scandinavian Languages
Dept. of Languages and Literature
Lund University
P. O. Box 201, SE-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN
Tel.: +46 46 222 87 04