What is linguistics? What is it good for?

Henrik Rosenkvist Henrik.Rosenkvist at nordlund.lu.se
Fri Sep 9 07:28:37 UTC 2011

Hi!

Linguistics is a human enterprise. Ants have workers, engineers and so
forth, but you don't find artists, historians or linguists in an ant
hill. We are the only species that feel a need to explore ourselves and
that have the means to do so – in my view, the capacities for
introspection etc that we have at hand infer almost an obligation to
boldly go where no other species can go. And linguistics is one way of
doing just that.

Henrik R.

--
Henrik Rosenkvist
docent, nordiska språk
e-post: Henrik.Rosenkvist at nordlund.lu.se

Henrik Rosenkvist
Associate Professor, Scandinavian Languages
Dept. of Languages and Literature
Lund University
P. O. Box 201, SE-221 00 Lund, SWEDEN
Tel.: +46 46 222 87 04