What is linguistics? What is it good for?

alex gross language at sprynet.com
Fri Sep 9 10:25:58 UTC 2011

I applaud all of your contributions so far and would only add that past
theories of linguistics, were they still fashionable, could provide yet
other evidence that our study  is not only "good for something" but truly
lies at the very center of our many cultures.

The Semanticists certainly took this view when they visualized linguistics
as a tool we surely need today, nothing less than an ongoing critique of all
social, political, and intellectual dialogue, as a way citizens in many
societies could distinguish rhetoric from reality.

And the Whorf-Sapir descriptivists have also left us a useful tool that can
help us to realize that seemingly distinct cultures and languages, though
certainly not connected by any "universal grammar," can nonetheless be seen
as ultimately comparable and equal in value to our own. At least this
assessment, though allegedly discredited, still lurks on the margins of our
study.

I am particularly heartened by Professor Wilcox' contribution, that
translators and interpreters also prove that linguistics is "good for
something." I am prepared at the drop of a hat to go a great deal further
and assert that they lie at the very heart of all language study, as I have
done in my paper "Translation as the Prototype of All Communication,"
accessible at:

http://languag2.home.sprynet.com/f/prototyp.htm#t11

It may well be in all the stages of our learning that every single new word
or concept we encounter, even in our primary language, actually requires an
act of  explanation, enlightenment, clarification--in short translation--for
us to understand it. Such an act may be provided by a teacher, a helpful
friend, a dictionary or other reference book, or the closer reading of a
text. But whatever form it takes, such an act of translation is most often
absolutely crucial for us to grasp the meaning. And we ourselves--what we
call our "knowledge" and our "understanding"--may be to a fair extent the
sum total of these countless acts of translation.

With very best to everyone!

alex

http://language.home.sprynet.com