What is linguistics? What is it good for?

Rong Chen rchen at csusb.edu
Fri Sep 9 15:18:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Dovetailing Tahir's post: Linguistics is also a window into the human mind.

Human beings have a natural urge to learn about things. Among the things we
want to know  (about)--which is practically everything--are things about
ourselves. Among the things about ourselves is the way our mind works. One
might even argue that the mind is the most important aspect about us.

Many disciplines study the mind, approaching it from a multitude of
perspectives. Linguistics is one of them. By studying language, it offers
insights about how the mind works that no other disciplines is capable of
offering.

Sorry if this point has been made.

Cheers,

Rong Chen