Terminology for verbal derivation

Daniel Everett dan at daneverett.org
Mon Jul 16 19:51:09 UTC 2012

It is possible that 'applicative' is the best term here, depending on local linguistic traditions.

But as Sally and I (and different co-authors) showed in a series of papers on Salish the range of ways to modify/signal modification of various manifestations of transitivity and valence go beyond currently available terminology. I don't mind terms like 'applicative' as mnemonic devices in limited contexts, e.g. specific language families, but I don't like them when they are used as cross-linguistic standards. I don't find rigid use of terms all that useful. The variation is too great in most cases, especially when looked at more carefully.

-- Dan