Proverbs

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at wayne.edu
Tue Nov 13 10:46:46 UTC 2012

My colleague Ljiljana Progovac led a research group here at Wayne State that spent considerable time looking at (and taking seriously the syntax of) non-sententials, including proverbs. The result of their study (which I did not take part in, other than to attend the conference at the end) was the following volume:

Progovac, L. & et al. (eds) 2006. The Syntax of Nonsententials: Multidisciplinary Perspectives (Linguistik aktuell = 93). Amsterdam ; Philadelphia: J. Benjamins.

There might be some useful information therein.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/