Proverbs

Eve Sweetser sweetser at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 14 02:56:20 UTC 2012

Karen Sullivan and I have a paper about the metaphoric and metonymic
relationships in proverbs which I think applies quite well to these cases:

2009. Karen Sullivan and Eve Sweetser.  2009. Is "Generic is Specific" a
Metaphor?" in Fey Parrill, Vera Tobin and Mark Turner (eds.), /Meaning,
Form and Body/.  (Selected papers from the 2008 CSDL meeting).  Stanford
CA: CSLI Publications.