Fwd: Fwd: How hierarchical is language use?

T. Florian Jaeger tiflo at csli.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 22 21:59:35 UTC 2012

Hi Funknetters,

For anyone interested, I'm attaching below a follow-up conversation between
Stefan Frank and me on his paper in PsychScience, suggesting that there is
no hierarchical structure that is accessed during sentence processing. I
removed all parts that weren't crucial to the discussion.

Florian

First, Stefan's reply to my post:

Hi Florian,

Thanks for  cc-ing me (and for not being as harsh on us as some linguistic
bloggers). I just wanted to correct you on one details: In the PsychSci
paper, we use echo-state networks (ESNs), not SRNs. The difference matters
because claims about hierarchical processing by SRNs always relied on the
internal representations learned by the networks. But ESNs do not learn any
internal representations (their recurrent weights remain untrained) so the
results we found cannot be due to the ESNs learning to deal with
hierarchical structure.

All the best,

Stefan

[...]

ESNs and SRNs have the same architecture (at least, they do when I use
them) but are trained differently. Crucially, an ESN's input and recurrent
connection weights are not adapted to the training data. Simply put, each
input to an ESN is "randomly" mapped to a point in a very high-dimensional
space (the network's hidden units). The output connection weights are then
trained on these hidden vectors using linear regression.

This is not to say that there is no useful structure in the hidden-unit
space: Čerňanský et al. (Neural Networks, 2007) showed that untrained
recurrent neural nets have a Markovian bias (more specifically, they
correspond to Variable Length Markov Models).

[...]