Public Linguistics Presentation Q

Ellen Contini-Morava elc9j at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 13 17:03:11 UTC 2013

I confess that convincing a public audience that (even) non-standard
varieties have "rules" itself panders to the hegemonic language ideology
that having reified "rules" is a badge of legitimacy. But one has to
pick one's battles; there's only so much that can be done in an hour.
(See Michael Silverstein, 1996. “Monoglot ‘Standard’ in America:
Standardization and Metaphors of Linguistic Hegemony.” In D. Brenneis
and R. Macauley, eds. The Matrix of Language: Contemporary Linguistic
Anthropology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. Pp. 284-306.)

Ellen

Ellen Contini-Morava
Professor, Department of Anthropology
University of Virginia