Public Linguistics Presentation Q

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Fri Jun 14 07:43:35 UTC 2013

But my point was that there is a quite legitimate notion of rules that
one gets in ordinary English speech. That is where one says "as a rule X
happens in manner Y in context C", a description of a regularity where
one is NOT claiming that the rule creates the regularity. The trouble is
then you have to take pains to clarify what 'rules' means. But our
analytic friends might deny that there can be such a thing as a
descriptive rule. Yet they have no problem with the hocus-pocus of
'constitutive rules' (very scary quotes).
Tahir

>>> Ellen Contini-Morava <elc9j at virginia.edu> 6/13/2013 7:03 pm >>>
I confess that convincing a public audience that (even) non-standard
varieties have "rules" itself panders to the hegemonic language
ideology
that having reified "rules" is a badge of legitimacy. But one has to
pick one's battles; there's only so much that can be done in an hour.
(See Michael Silverstein, 1996. “Monoglot ‘Standard’ in America:

Standardization and Metaphors of Linguistic Hegemony.” In D. Brenneis

and R. Macauley, eds. The Matrix of Language: Contemporary Linguistic
Anthropology. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. Pp. 284-306.)

Ellen

Ellen Contini-Morava
Professor, Department of Anthropology
University of Virginia