Lake Feminism, it's deep

Michal Brody brody at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Apr 30 16:19:13 UTC 1999

RE: Should we define ourselves as feminist?

OK, I'm gonna stick my neck out here (wearing mask and snorkel). I'd like
to point out that 'gender and language' as a legitimate area of academic
endeavor grew directly and wholly out of the feminist movement, out of the
efforts of academic women to use their tools and training in the service of
a larger effort to gain some long overdue respect and equal status for
women. To come along now and claim that feminism isn't relevant to this
discourse is to deny and betray that foundation. If it weren't for feminism
(and individual feminists), there wouldn't *be* any examination of 'gender
and language.' Not in 1975 and not today.

(As a footnote - which can't actually be a footnote due to the limitations
of the medium - I would  mention too that the activism of lesbians and gay
men [separately and together] also contribute much to the explorations of
language and gender, and gender generally. The joint stigmas of homophobia
and misogyny inhibited [and continue to inhibit] full coalition-building,
as well as giving full credit to these movements for their contributions to
academic pursuit.)

Feminists, by the way, don't have to be female, and it's also certainly the
case that not all women are feminists (hello Nancy Reagan). One of the most
important things I've gained in my practice of feminism over the last
several decades is to always question assumptions. Challenge presumptions.
Givens aren't given. Go deeper. Isn't that what we're doing here?

Swimmingly,
Michal
*****
(Ms.) Michal Brody