Should there be an F in GALA?

Jeff Deby Jeff_Deby at BC.SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Apr 30 19:10:24 UTC 1999

Hi all,

I agree with Michal Brody's statements wholeheartedly. I do think,
however, that if we are to embrace a feminist stance, the name "Gender
and Language Association" is not appropriate. Gender and language
studies have, despite their origins, moved on to many, many different
ideological starting points.  An association which calls itself Gender
and Language Association sounds to me like it would embrace more than
feminist approaches.

GALA itself as a title would imply that Bly-style men's studies
(anti-flame precaution: I'm not a Bly-ist!), for example, are equally
welcome, and I don't see them as particularly feminist-informed.  Also,
I think there are people doing queer studies who would consider
themselves anti-feminist, because of a dislike of implications of (a)
the binary nature of gender and (b) a pro-woman agenda, rather than a
critical and radical analysis of gender more broadly.

I myself work to approach my studies (now on lg and masculinity;
formerly on lg and gay identity) from a feminist viewpoint, and would be
supportive of an association which did so.  But I don't think it's the
only way to go -- and the name of the organization should reflect our
stance if we adopt one.  Otherwise I see us as being potentially, and
rightly, vulnerable to external claims of elitism, excluding
non-feminist approaches to gender and language.  Maybe we *do* want to
exclude those. Maybe not.  If we are to remain as a true organization
for the study of Gender and Language, I don't think we can be so
exclusive.  If, for example, we get involved in conferences, do we want
to exclude non-feminist approaches from consideration?  And, as people
have mentioned before, who will decide?

If we *do* want to narrow our focus, I think we should be more up front
about it.  Association for Feminist Studies in Language and Gender
(AFSILAG, not very catchy, but it's just a suggestion) or something.
And also be clear about what mean, exactly, by Feminist.

Another option is to leave it open, or at least loose, something like,
"we are not exclusive about approaches to the study of language and
gender but the organization was conceived with a feminist goal in mind"
or some more register-appropriate comment.  But if this is the case we
need to be prepared to accept non-feminist scholars with an open mind,
which might not be so easy in many cases.

Just some catalyzing thoughts, fodder for discussion.  I don't have a
heels-dug-in opinion on this, I just think we need to address this
issue.  I feel I've stuck my neck out a bit, please don't chop my head
off, anyone.

Jeff
Jeff Deby
Georgetown University