open swim

Sally McConnell-Ginet smg9 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Apr 30 20:26:26 UTC 1999

I'm puzzled as to why someone "cannot become a feminist".  Perhaps I'm
missing something here.  On the other hand, I certainly don't favor litmus
tests for being a "good feminist" as prerequisites for involvement in GALA.

>To my mind, the first question (Should the organization take an explicitly
>feminist stance? If so, how?) is actually *first* and most urgent to begin
>with bicause, according to how it is solved, the organization will shape
>not only qualitatively but also quantitatively (for instance, I cannot
>become a feminist); and, why should we deprive other approaches to
>contribute to "gender and language" within GALA?
>
>Thanks for breaking the silence.
>
>Zaal Kikvidze

>Dr. Zaal Kikvidze
>Dept. of Linguistics and Phonetics
>Lund University
>Helgonabachen 12
>S-223 62  LUND
>Sweden
>
>Tel:+46-(0)46-2228436
>Fax:+46-(0)46-2224210

Sally McConnell-Ginet
Professor of Linguistics
Chair, Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-6469
(Linguistics office: 255-1105, 255-3384)
FAX: 607-255-2044