let's go

Kenneth Allen Hyde kenny at UDEL.EDU
Thu Feb 25 03:58:57 UTC 1999

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Monica Macaulay wrote:

> I agree with Megan that a list (of some sort - I imagine a discussion
> list?) would be a good idea as a continuing thing.  It would be important
> to very clearly distinguish it from FLING in its purpose and goals, though.

I think that, if GALA ends up being a truly "gender and language"
organization, any distinction should follow naturally.   It's sort of a
different agenda item (although it does fall under the rubric of
"philosophy of GALA"), but my personal feeling is that GALA should be open
to scholars and teachers who are not working in a feminist framework.
Admittedly, many members will be, but I don't think it should be a
requirement.  If that turns out to be the general feeling, then I would
guess that any mailing list that we create will naturally be different in
content and purpose than FLING (which, as I understand it, is for
explicitly feminist issues in linguistics--correct me if I'm wrong).

Kenneth Allen Hyde     |  No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife
Univ. of Delaware      |  between the shoulder blades will seriously
Dept. of Linguistics   |  cramp his style  -- Old Jhereg proverb
kenny at Udel.Edu         |  A mind is a terrible toy to waste! -- Me

//www.ling.udel.edu/hyde/prof/ken.html