implementation

Shane Drews shane.drews at ASU.EDU
Fri Feb 26 04:06:25 UTC 1999

	Much of the discussion the past couple of days elicits issues that can
be discussed when their time on the agenda arrives, although it is proving
most difficult to decide when one issue ends and another begins.  The very
nature of this assoc. makes answering Mary's suggestion for implementation
difficult without knowing the details of what might be raised later on toward
other items on the agenda.  Originally, the plan was to discuss a certain
agenda issue for a given length of time and then move on to the next issue.
That seems problematic when trying to establish an association from the
beginning.  Might I suggest that the discussion of the agenda issues does not
end when the issue is no longer on the agenda.  Rather let's move forward in
the agenda and "outline" the principles of each issue.  At a later time,
before this six-month deadline, let's review each issue/principle to determine
if there are any changes we'd like to see and/or any amendments that might
need to be made.  This might move the agenda forward more smoothly and quickly
as each issue would return for discussion in an "outlined" form.  With this
caveat in mind, these are my responses to Mary's suggestions.
>>1. When the discussion ends in six months, we call for nominations for a
temporary executive committee with a one-year term of office
	I think this relates to Megan's response.  Drop the word temporary.
These lucky people will become the *first* executive committee, with all the
trappings that implies.  What they say and do is not temporary.  And, like
with any newborn, the *second* executive committee will have learned from
their achievements and mistakes.
>>2. We hold an online election.
	All four proposals here, especially this one, imply this list
continues in some shape or form past the six-month deadline.  Again, I think
this election should be of the First Executive Committee.
>>3. The committee takes the principles that emerged during the discussion
and drafts by-laws for the organization, sets up an institutional structure
(non-profit status and the like), and otherwise gets things rolling.
	Agreed.  This is another reason why this committee is far from
temporary.
>>4. As its last duty, the committee organizes an executive committee or
whatever form of officers we (the list) decide we want.
	I would assume that we will be voting for individuals who will make
good judgments about what office(r)s are needed.  So, in keeping with the
first proposal, the First Executive Committee organizes the election of the
Second Executive Committee who will occupy certain offices.  (I'm making an
assumption that the First Committee will propose the list of office(r)s to the
list for a general vote before the election of the Second Committee.)
	Six months will pass quickly if all the kinks need to be worked out in
the beginning.  Let's get a working outline with many supporting details now
and return in a couple of months for any changes/amendments.  When the agenda
is finally over, the First Committee should have enough opinion to do its job.

Shane.

Shane M. Drews
e-mail address: smdtesol at imap2.asu.edu
Arizona State University