implementation

Megan J. Crowhurst mjcrowhu at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Fri Feb 26 02:26:59 UTC 1999

I also agree with the tenor and details of Mary's proposal.  A
few comments, briefly:

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Mary Bucholtz wrote:

> 1. When the discussion ends in six months, we call for nominations for a
> temporary executive committee with a one-year term of office

Sounds good.  Will there be a time to discuss what the composition of that
temporary exec comm could be?  (e.g. will we try and get a committee that
is as geographically representative as possible? Perhaps this could go on
the table when we discuss what it means to be an international
organization.)

> 2. We hold an online election.
> 3. The committee takes the principles that emerged during the discussion
> and drafts by-laws for the organization, sets up an institutional structure
> (non-profit status and the like), and otherwise gets things rolling.

Great, for 2 and 3.

> 4. As its last duty, the committee organizes an executive committee or
> whatever form of officers we (the list) decide we want.

Does this mean that the proposed *temporary* exec comm would undertake to
organize a more permanent structure?

--Megan