clarification

Ines Shaw ishaw at BADLANDS.NODAK.EDU
Fri Feb 26 16:14:56 UTC 1999

I understand the facilitators' wish to postpone continued conversation
about the issue of inter-/multidisciplinarity, but since the conversation
is still going on, I'd like to clarify a point:

In a previous message, I talked about a linguistics orientation, as
reflected in various branches of linguistics, as an idea to be considered
(not necessarily a better idea).  People connected these various branches
are *not* located in a linguistics department--certainly this could not be
the case.  In addition, there is no reason for closing GALA to independent
researchers.