clarification

Megan J. Crowhurst mjcrowhu at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Fri Feb 26 19:07:40 UTC 1999

>From Ines:

> In a previous message, I talked about a linguistics orientation, as
> reflected in various branches of linguistics, as an idea to be considered
> (not necessarily a better idea).  People connected these various branches
> are *not* located in a linguistics department--certainly this could not be
> the case.  In addition, there is no reason for closing GALA to independent
> researchers.

Let me second this--obviously, we *can't* restrict this to people in
linguistics departments. This would be to marginalize a whole lot of
scholars whose research is relevant, and I'm sure the person who suggested
this wasn't writing with this intention.  Consider this:  neither of the
main movers of this organization (Mary and Sara) are in linguistics
departments.  In fact, of the four whose names are listed in connection
with this organization, I am the only one in a Linguistics department--and
I am also the only one whose research does not touch on language and
gender issues (I only teach a course or two; I'm in this primarily as a
committed feminist).  With few exceptions, linguistics departments,
especially formally oriented ones, are not known for being tremendously
supportive of language and gender research.

--Megan C.