vote on BWLG/GALA connection

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at TAMU.EDU
Fri Jul 2 17:37:59 UTC 1999

Thanks to Penny for getting things moving, and for a very generous offer.
We'll need to have a vote on her suggestion to host the first GALA
conference at Stanford, as well as on the issue of the relationship between
BWLG and GALA. It seems best to deal with the latter question first. In the
meantime, in case the list does later vote to have a conference hosted by
Stanford, it's wise for Penny to be looking into the details of what this
would involve. We should all bear in mind that the list will have to give
its approval before anything official can be done, and that BWLG will have
to agree to the details of any final proposal by GALA to make a connection
between the two organizations.

After the current vote, we'll move on to a vote on whether Stanford should
host a conference, which may or may not be linked to BWLG in any way. Our
apologies for the tedium of this process, but it seems to be the fairest
way of deciding things. While the voting is going on, please feel free to
continue discussing the proposal to have a conference hosted by Stanford in
the spring of 2000, as well as other matters.

Please send your vote to bucholtz at tamu.edu by Wednesday, July 7 concerning
the following. (Simply state 1, 2, or 3 in your message.)

1. GALA should not establish any official connection to BWLG.
2. GALA should establish a symbolic connection to BWLG, which would
acknowledge its importance as a foundational language and gender
association but wouldn't draw on its resources in any material way.
3. GALA should establish a symbolic and material connection to BWLG. A
material connection to BWLG would involve the following:
- Finding a home for its computer, files, etc.
- Making use of its mailing list.
- Holding a conference that acknowledges the "passing of the torch" from BWLG
to GALA (but one that might be quite different from BWLG's conferences, as
some have suggested).
- Continuing to make available the BWLG conference proceedings from earlier
years.

Mary