philosophy statement refreshment

Chris Beckwith beckwith at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Jul 9 05:27:41 UTC 1999

On the philosophy statement, Sally McConnell-Ginet's statement still
sounds great to me, with the exception of the one sentence that Sara
mentions in her message:

> > research has often had not only a theoretical but a practical aim,
> >seeking to understand the linguistic underpinnings of male dominance in
> >order to dismantle male privilege.

It's too bad we can't use GALA for good; I've grown fond of the acronym.
Any way to work an -S onto the end?  (GALAS also sounds festive and
happy!)  Why not just break all the 'rules' and add it anyway?! It doesn't
have to stand for anything.  It can just BE there because we like it!  Or,
we can add an -X, and assign it a variable value, depending on what any
speaker wants it to mean at any given time.  For example, today I'm happy,
so when I pronounce the acronym "GALAX" I mean "GALA--and I'm happy!"
Um, well, if that doesn't do it, consider the fact that a lot of societies
have unpronouncable, unaesthetic acronyms.  (I mean, I can think of so
many associations that have embarrassing-sounding, even gross, acronyms if
anyone actually pronounced them!)  I'm not sure we need to worry
too much about an acronym for the society or association.  The important
acronym really is the journal's, I would think, because no one wants to
publish in a journal that has a dumb-sounding acronym, right?  So if I may
be so bold, I would like to suggest that we consider journal names and
acronyms alongside the association name, but not worry too much about the
association's acronymn.

Chris