philosophy statement and name

Andrew Barke abarke at INSC.TOHOKU.AC.JP
Fri Jul 9 04:40:14 UTC 1999

Hi all,
I kinda liked the all-encompassing feel of the GALA name itself, but if we
have to change it, how about just shuffling it a little to LAGA (Language
And Gender Association)? Or LAGRA (Language And Gender Research
Association)?
Or have they already been taken too?

I also liked the philosophy statement put forward by Sally McConnell-Ginet
(minus the  "research has often had not only a theoretical but a practical
aim,
seeking to understand the linguistic underpinnings of male dominance in
order to dismantle male privilege" if poss.)

Andrew Barke
PhD candidate                       Tel:   022-233-7927
Graduate School of International Cultural Studies
Tohoku University
Sendai, Japan

List
> (GALA-L)."  We thought of this as an interim name since at the time, we
did
> not know what the subsequent organization of the society might be. We did
> know that we probably wouldn't be able to keep GALA as a name because
GALA