further on a journal

Miriam Meyerhoff mm167 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jun 18 14:48:35 UTC 1999

Dear All,

I know the list is mainly discussing conferences at the moment, but since
the question of a journal presumably lingers behind that, I am posting the
following message from Anne Pauwels (at her request) re. the journal
"Language, Gender & Sexism". As you will see, LGS is actively looking for
new editors. Anne asks that any expressions of interest be sent to both
out-going editors <Anne_Pauwels at uow.edu.au> and
<joanne.winter at arts.monash.edu.au>
	What do you say, people? I think it would be great to keep it live
somehow.

mm

MESSAGE FROM ANNE PAUWELS:

	Your message was sent to me via some subscribers to the GALA list. I am
afraid I can't afford the time to participate or lurk on lists due an
administrative overload  in my current position.I invite people to visit
the new website (recently changed from UNE to UOW) giving details on
contents and orientation of the journal:
Http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/languages/lgs/

Meanwhile Jo Winter and I have decided to step down as editors of the
journal after nearly ten years in that role. We have placed a notice in
the International Applied Linguistics newsletter [AILA] seeking new
editors for the journal. We gladly extend this invitation to members
subscribing to the GALA list. Some time ago I wrote to [someone on the GALA
list] re the journal as a possible outlet for GALA when this was being
debated on the list. She replied that she would consider it. I have
never heard back from her.

In terms of your questions

The journal Language, Gender and Sexism started indeed as the Working
Papers on language, gender and sexism: it changed in 1997.

Its subscriber base until recently was quite strong and also very
diverse and 'global'(subscribers from Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia/NZ
and South America), with the exception of the US and Canada. This may
have to do with its association with AILA or with the fact that there is
already so much on the US/Canadian market in this area.

Major publisher/ new editorial board: We have had approaches from major
publishers to place the journal with them (Mouton, Carfax). When the
offers were made, the WPLGS were still in their infancy and we were
hesitant about accepting the offers, primarily because it would lead to
a substantial increase in subscription costs, which many of our
subscribers would be unable or unwilling to pay. I would see it as a
decision that a new editor or an editorial board can make.

About the title : this title was 'conceived' at a meeting of the AILA
scientific commission on language and gender in 1990 when Dede Brouwer
was its convener. My area of interest or expertise had little to do with
the word 'sexism' being included.

Professor Anne Pauwels
Dean, Faculty of Arts
Professor of Languages and Linguistics
University of Wollongong
Wollongong NSW 2522, Australia

Ph: (02) 42213369    Fax: (02) 4221 3179
Email: anne_pauwels at uow.edu.au

Miriam Meyerhoff

Asst Professor
Department of Linguistics,