Some more thoughts on GALA and BWLG

Penny Eckert eckert at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jun 23 11:36:27 UTC 1999

I've been lurking forever and ever, don't know why I haven't jumped in
earlier. At any rate, I do think that the proposed "merger" with BWLG
makes sense. As far as the next conference is concerned, I think a lot of
people are ready to have one on schedule, in the spring of 2000. For the
past couple of times, the Stanford crowd has offered to help out, and at
one point we offered to have the conference at Stanford, but still call it
the Berkeley Women and Language Conference. As long as they could hold
out, though, the Berkeley people continued to do it on their own. I'm out
of the country at the moment and can't check with everyone, but I'm
willing to be that our offer still stands. We have a large cohort of
students working in language and gender and prepared to take on the
responsibility. I certainly understand Alice's desire to have the thing
move around, and this is not an offer to "take over" the conference, but
if people are interested, certainly for the next one I think we could jump
into the breach even with short notice.

Penny