where we are

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at CSUCHICO.EDU
Mon Mar 1 16:15:22 UTC 1999

and where we're going.

>From a number of questions and concerns that the list and the facilitators
have been receiving, it seems that we haven't sufficiently communicated how
we'll try to facilitate the discussion and keep the agenda rolling. We've
never done anything like this before.   Here's an attempt to lay this out
more clearly based on the original gala-l announcement, the welcome message,
the procedures we followed in eliciting the agenda, and your suggestions.

1. state the item from the agenda, and ask for discussion, proposing a
time-period for discussion.
2. when discussion of an item dwindles, summarize points made, and ask for
more input to resolve any outstanding issues in order to formulate a
question.
3.  propose the question formulation for the agenda item to the list for a
vote, and set time period for any additions or restatements of the
formulation of the question.
4.  propose a time period for taking a vote on the question.
5.  Count vote and provide summary of the vote.

>From time to time, we realize that the agenda will have to be modified.
However, we would like to stick to the larger agenda as much as possible to
provide the structure needed for maximizing participation. Because the
agenda has already been approved by a democratic vote, any drastic changes
will have to be approved by discussion and a vote.  It will also be
difficult to provide summaries and take votes for specific if we skip around
the agenda.  With that in mind, here is the agenda from February 8 (as voted
on) again.  My next message will provide a summary of discussion for the
first item so far.

Sara T
strechter at csuchico.edu
English Dept./Linguistics Minor
CSU, Chico (home of the  4/4 load)
Chico, CA 95929-0830

Here is the proposed agenda for the next six months (or so). We have tried
to integrate everyone's suggestions as well as add other items that seemed
important to include.  Please take a minute to:

- verify that any agenda items you proposed are listed and accurately
reflect what you had in mind (e.g., does it make sense to discuss it where
it's currently listed?)
- see whether there are other issues/sub-issues that you'd like to include
- get an idea of the structure of the whole discussion, so that we can
address each item systematically

The floor is open for proposed changes to the agenda from today until Wed.
evening. All proposed changes will be included in the revised agenda. We'll
then present a final agenda to the list for approval by all subscribers.
And then we can get down to talking about the issues. We'll propose a
timeline for each agenda item as we go, with flexibility for ending
discussions early or extending them as needed.

This agenda will no doubt be revised as the discussion develops, but at
least it will provide an initial map of where we're going.

Thanks,

Kira, Mary, Megan, Monica, and Sara
1. Philosophy/Nature/Principles of GALA

a. What will happen when the six months are over? How (generally speaking)
will the issues proposed in this discussion be implemented?

b. Purpose of professionalization and of GALA
i. What are the organization's general goals?
ii. Will the organization be mostly virtual or a nonprofit entity with
funded activities?

c. Philosophy
i. Relation to feminism
ii. Informed by interdisciplinary studies or specific language and gender
methodologies?

d. Scope
i. national/international/nonnational/other
ii. What "gender and language" means (men as well as women, other
'genders', sexuality)
iii. Relationship between GALA and other gender and language organizations

e. Name of the organization

2. Activities

a. Journal and its relation to other language and gender journals

b. Conference, and its relation to Berkeley Women and Language Conference

c. Recognition of scholarly achievement

3. Structure of GALA (the organization)

a. Governing body/bodies
i. how they'll be elected
ii. terms of service
iii. how to achieve adequate representation of the different fields of
interest in gender and language and different stages in career
iv. fair distribution of work (protecting graduate students, nontenured
scholars, etc.)

b. Implementation of philosophy (establishing bylaws, policies, procedures)

c. Nonprofit status: The technical legal requirements for becoming a
nonprofit organization

d. Finances
i. dues
ii. having enough to cover activities