JANET BING jbing at ODU.EDU
Mon Mar 1 16:48:27 UTC 1999

restating the item being discussed makes sense.

the Linguistics Society of America (the LSA) has within the United
States. It would be a central clearing house, think-tank and business
office for language and gender research."  I like it (and hadn't seen
the previous posting).

Regarding the philosopy of GALA and in response to Debby's posting:

> 2.  On whether GALA should be a feminist organisation.  What exactly
> is riding on this?  Are we going to have political aims in our
> constitution, beyond the non-discrimination statement I take it any
> respectable academic organisation would wish to include in 1999
> (will article one be 'GALA will
O seek to overthrow patriarchy')?

"What exactly is riding on this?"  The examples Debby cites weren't
what I had in mind when I asked if this would be a feminist
organization, nor do I advocate signing a pledge to overthrow
patriarcy.   What I hoped would be explored under "philosophy" was
whether this would be a traditional academic organization or whether
some alternatives could be explored.

For example. if there is to be a journal, would it be limited to
academic style, or could there be more accessible papers that might
attract a wider audience?

If there are conferences, could there be alternatives to the 20 minute
paper and the 5 minute response, the traditional conference model
based on the traditional academic lecture.

If there is a governing board, could there be representation for a
student member or independent scholar and some way of subsidizing
them?

Janet Bing
Dept. of English
Old Dominion University