summary of 1A

Trechter, Sara STRECHTER at CSUCHICO.EDU
Mon Mar 1 19:54:13 UTC 1999

There have been a number of interesting and useful proposals put forth on
gala-l in the last 2 weeks.  (It makes me (Sara T.)  believe that the more
people that participate, the better this organization will be.)  Previous
discussion for upcoming agenda items will be included in the summaries for
those items, but to keep our task manageable we ask that in future people
try to keep to the agenda item under discussion as much as possible.  At
this time, we'll summarize what's been proposed for the first agenda item.
Please feel free make additions or corrections or objections! as you see
them.  In essence, this summary is a call for more discussion and
brainstorming before we work on formulating an item for a vote. The summary
is divided into four parts:  1) ITEM 2) DISCUSSION SUMMARY 3) HOLES 4) CALL
FOR FORMULATION AND TIMETABLE.  (Please make sure that discussion
represented discussion is represented accurately at this time.)

ITEM

1. Philosophy/Nature/Principles of GALA

a. What will happen when the six months are over? How (generally speaking)
will the issues proposed in this discussion be implemented?

THE DISCUSSION SUMMARY

What happens to the gala-list?

Suggestions: Keep the e-list in order to communicate and make the mandate
clear, and /or formulate another way of communicating besides and e-list for
those who don't have access or who have sporadic access.

What sort of structure should be implemented?

1.  Structure and implementation should emerge out of each agenda item.
2.  Structure might emerge out of looking at another organization such as
OCSLG
3.  One proposed plan for implementation:

-When the discussion ends in six months, we call for nominations for a
temporary executive committee with a one-year term of office
-We hold an online election.
-The committee takes the principles that emerged during the discussion
and drafts by-laws for the organization, sets up an institutional structure
(non-profit status and the like), and otherwise gets things rolling.
-As its last duty, the committee organizes an executive committee or
whatever form of officers we (the list) decide we want.

4.  Another plan for implementation:

We do the above, but we consider the formulation committee to be the first
exec. committee.

5.  We do  the above in (3), but we consider diversity (geographical and
otherwise) as we talk about the scope (international) of the organization.

HOLES:

1.  It doesn't seem that we have discussed the above proposal or
brainstormed for alternatives much.
2.  Maybe this general proposal is okay for now given that we haven't
discussed philosophy or nature of GALA-L.  Opinions on that?
3.  However, the question at some point whether as in (3) the temp. exec.
committee calls for elections based on the structure they propose for an
exec. committee.  OR IF as in (4) the nature and composition of exec.
committee arises directly out of online negotiation.

CALL FOR FORUMULATION AND TIMETABLE:

Four more days for additional proposals, formulating and clarifying an the
item (1a) for a vote. Okay?

Sara, Megan, Mary, Monica, Kira

Sara Trechter
strechter at csuchico.edu